Four Mile Hut, NSW
Four Mile Hut was built by Robert Hughes in 1937, and used as a mining residence for gold prospectors. Today, it remains the only complete mining hut on the old Kiandra gold fields. For many years (until about 1981) there was a box of very live dynamite under one of the bunks, presumably to give any resident silly enough to light a really big fire in the hearth, a night to remember!
The Hut is accessed via a moderate walk setting out from Mt Selwyn Ski Resort, winding through snowgum forests and vast sub-alpine grasslands with views of Tabletop Mountain and Mt Jagungal. The hut is located in an alpine meadow that in summer is awash with wildflowers, including golden-stemmed billy buttons and orange everlasting daisies and covered in snow during the colder months.